Monday, 16 May 2011

The finished jacket

I found out that it is possible to weave a jacket all in one piece. It fits well and is comfortable. I also found out that the method I used is much too unwieldy. I wouldn't do it again like this. I haven't stopped thinking about how it could be done better, but that won't be for a while, if ever!

Friday, 6 May 2011

The last of the weaving

Nearly finished weaving the sleeve
I finished weaving the sleeves and removed the cardboard form. I couldn't resist trying it on at this stage, but it looked ragged and was heavy because it was still attached to the loomskin.

Inside front panel showing the warp threads
needing to be darned in and weft threads needing to be clipped.
Finally I could remove all the holding stitches and release the jacket from the loomskin. The next step is tidying up. The ends of warp need to be darned in at the neck edge, buttonholes and hems. The weft threads were fastened in during weaving so all I have to do with those is to clip them off.

The jacket off the loomskin shown right side out.
Most of the weft threads have been pulled to the inside
and the warp threads at the neck edge and buttonholes
have been darned in.

Monday, 2 May 2011

Weaving the sleeves

I rolled and taped the previously made specially shaped cardboard forms forming sleeve-shaped tube structures. Then I stuffed the cuff, centre, and shoulder areas with tightly rolled cardboard. The tubes were inserted into the sleeves. I pinned the cuff into position and tightly tied the top at the shoulder. Then I rolled the rest of the jacket around the tops of the tubes. I ended up with a long cylinder with a sleeve at each end. I began to weave at the top of the sleeves.

Sunday, 1 May 2011

Finishing weaving the body section

weaving the last two rows at the hem
I wove to the hem and then removed the weaving from the form in preparation for weaving the very last section; the sleeves.

detail of last two rows

finished body section after removal from the form