Monday 18 October 2010

Mini projects and what I learned from them (part 5)

Bag project – This is the project on which I tested the idea of a "loomskin". I charted the warp and weft onto a piece of sturdy fabric, marked all the pin positions and sewed in the holding stitches. Then I laid the loomskin out on cardboard and inserted the pins. After wrapping the warp onto the pins, I attached the warp to the fabric by catching the warp threads down with yarn threaded through the holding stitches.

The flap of the bag was flat, so I wove it before taking the piece off the flat cardboard. After this I fastened the loomskin around a shaped cardboard form so that the rest of the weaving could be done all in one piece in the round.

I also used this project to test a semicircular weft because by this time I was considering a round yoke design for the JACKET. Both the loomskin idea and the semicircle weft worked well and I began to finalize the pattern..

No comments:

Post a Comment