Sunday 17 October 2010

Mini projects and what I learned from them (part 4)


I discovered a better way to warp shaped weavings

 Collar project, pin weaving experiment – This project was a breakthrough because I realized I could weave a shaped piece with the warp pinned down. There didn't need to be any bothersome threading of the warp through holding stitches because it could be wrapped continuously around the pins. This was much quicker. I used a method reminiscent of bobbin lace by pulling the warp out straight and weaving a section, then repositioning the ends of the warp to gradually curve the piece.


After this I began to explore the possibilities of using pin warping as an interim stage for warping a more complex piece. I came to the idea that the warp could be first wrapped on pins on a flat surface to get it in place and then attached to a fabric backing with holding stitches. Then the fabric backing could be attached to a 3D form for weaving. I called this idea of a warp attached to a removable backing fabric a "loomskin" and I tested it on a bag project.(see next post)

No comments:

Post a Comment