Sunday 13 February 2011

Getting ready to weave the shoulder section

The shoulder section is a strip which curves around the cap of the shoulders. It extends from the edge of the yoke to the point at which the sleeves and body separate . At the back it is about 15 cm deep tapering to about 2 cm at the front edges. 

The shoulder section viewed from the back
To get ready to weave this part, I laid out the loomskin on a large sheet of cardboard. Poking through the loomskin with pins, I marked the cardboard with the shape of the shoulder section. I cut it out and taped it into the proper 3-D shape. This I taped to the inside of the loomskin along the edge of the yoke. Then I wrapped the whole contraption around Frieda's shoulders (the dress maker's dummy) and sewed the loomskin closed across the neck, down the front and along the cut lines as far down as the bottom of this section. This produced a dome shaped structure which I stuffed with one and a half old pillows. Finally I attached a flat cardboard base. 
The warp pinned in place underneath
I pulled the loomskin down around the base and pinned it in place firmly to tension the warp. The rest of the length of the sleeves and body of the loomskin is folded away below the base.

No comments:

Post a Comment