Friday 18 July 2014

Starting to weave at last!

The first step was to tension the sleeve warps. I untied the pairs, tied them more firmly around the pins at the armhole and anchored them in groups of four pairs. Then I began weaving at the cuff. After numerous mistakes in the first two rows of weaving I discovered that I needed to be able to see the threads better, so I slipped a sheet of black paper behind the warps. After that I made great headway (a couple of inches per hour!) with hardly any unpicking at all. 

In order to try to keep the weaving even, I regularly measured to keep the frequency at four threads per centimeter.
But even though I was doing that, as I wove around and around and up the sleeve, the weft subtly formed waves of higher and lower points. I felt it was essential that the weave be as perfect as possible to avoid distortions in the final garment. So I went back a bit and gradually straightened the lines of weft. 
I realized I can use the two rows of contrasting yarn I already had in place as measured markers to help keep the weft straight.
Then I finally met the armhole section where I stopped going around the sleeve and began to go back and forth across the top of the sleeve. 


No comments:

Post a Comment