Thursday 18 November 2010

Applying the holding stitches

Holding stitches for take up at the hem
Now I have begun putting in the holding stitches. There are special kinds for different purposes. Around the hem, I have a rows of stitches through which I will put threads to hold the warp down. I will be able to release one row at a time during weaving to gradually release the tension.

Holding stitches to hold shaping wedges



In the middle of tapered parts, I put single stitches with the ends unfastened. When I wrap the warp threads around the pins, I will tie these ends to hold the turns in the warp in the correct position for weaving.
Holding stitches for neck edge, yoke & buttonholes
For the top edge of the neckline I have put in a row of stitches which will hold a thread which goes through the turns in the warp. I have done a similar row at the yoke line. Here the holding thread will go over pairs of threads. The buttonholes have a row of stitches to hold the turns in the warp in place.

1 comment:

  1. I saw your bag on Weavolution and followed the link here; great project on the jacket-I will be stopping back to see how you are doing!
    (CindyinFL on weavolution)

    ReplyDelete