Saturday 6 November 2010

Warping test

Now that the loomskin can be laid flat to work, I'm ready to do the last bits of charting. I'll need to mark the places for all the holding stitches. 
I decided to do a quick warping test to see if the kinds of holding stitches I plan to use are actually going to work the way I imagine. I drew up a square on a rough bit of fabric and marked some holding stitches. Some stitches I put in before pinning down, some more I need to try after pinning.

I warped it and threaded through the previously placed holding stitches to hold down the warp. That worked quite well.
Then I tried using an upholstery needle to add more holding stitches. These were much more difficult than I thought and probably aren't practical (see the row holding down the top of the warp). I'll need to do almost all the holding stitches before pinning down the loomskin. The only exception will be the large anchoring stitches across five or six warps which don't need precision.

No comments:

Post a Comment