Thursday 9 October 2014

Finished the back

The warps extending from the back of the sleeves have now been incorporated into the back of the jacket. I took the opposite ones from each sleeve and wove them to meet somewhere in the middle, staggering the joins on subsequent rows. I kept the weaving even by filling in with supplementary weft threads.

When I first set in the sleeves I wove the top threads straight up the shoulders to the neck edge. They anchored the sleeves and held the warps in order really well. I thought this is where these threads would stay. But I remembered that weaving at an angle too much different from 90 degrees doesn't work. The threads simply revert to a right angle the minute they are released from the weaving form. (I discovered this in a failed project a couple of years ago: woven as a hat, it surprised me by becoming a loose loopy scarf the minute I took out the pins!) In this case it would have meant that the top of the shoulder would pull downwards, distorting the neck edge. 

So as I reached this section I unpicked each thread and worked it in across the top of the weaving. I'll do this in the front as well. The final gap from here to the neck edge will be filled in when the fronts are at the same stage. 

No comments:

Post a Comment